Monday, May 22, 2006

Of shattered dreams and broken... GLASS???

'Its the puja that I did last week at the Bhagwadi Shetram' Amma tells me . Now how did all this start? With me telling amma during one of our daily girl girl to converstaions, that these days I am feeling better. Well .. nothing wrong with the pinkness of my health... just having a bad time otehr wise. Now from my association with my fav 'girlfriend' that goes back more than a couple of decades, I have learnt not to disagree with her fundas.. Its futile.. She would let me win the argument without being convinced even a little. Still that doenst stop me trying

.. 'Alla amma , its the name change on my ID card . Even your astro 'nuts' would agree with me on that. Finally I have a full namenot just two miserly letters following my name. 'Now the reason for this too is not very complex. Its just that like most south indian from the southern most tip of India, my certificates always had initials instead of a last name printed on them. with their obsessionfor a last name in the north , I can tell you I have had a harassed childhoodexplaining to the northies why I do not have / use a last name . and considering that I spenta considerable number of years there .. you can understand ...

And a couple of days back that childhood stigma had finally got erased. My ID card which recently had a rebirth, had my name printed along with my father's name instead of the ... yes initials.. And I have always held it has a nice ring to it.. It rhymes.. Oh well... But the tough part was explaining to Amma how good it feels..And I would definitely not give the guy sitting up there any credit for that ...

Ok now back to my story...
That was yesterday. .. Amma finally says goodnite asking me to sleep facing northsince east or west was out of question in the dinginess of my abode..This I dutifully follow...I do make some concessions to the harassed guy upstairs... A few hours after that some does go wrong terribly.. Well the guy up there is up to his usual pranks.. I am not going to this anyways ...I still manage to sleep with a smile.. I still had a complete name now... and it felt good...

Come morning... wakie wakie... and the rush to the office bus.. I promptly go to sleep .. and dream abt the way everyone would call me.. Hmm and what was that horrible noisemy rash bus driver's sins have finally caught up with him... the headlites of the other cehicleand the glass of my bus lay kissing the ground... hmm its that Guy again...

2 comments:

Sanjana said...

hehehe... quite a traumatic childhood huh?! having an initial... But yeah i gotta agree it feels good to have a last name rather than have it as initials

Hazel said...

oh definittely.,,.. :)
hehe ...imagine having to do that all over again with a diff set of ppl every 4 yrs or so,.. :)